Ooty Tea Plantation
The origin of the name Udhagamandalam is obscure. The first known written mention of the place is given as Wotokymund in a letter of March 1821 to the Madras Gazette from an unknown correspondent. In early times it was called OttakalMandu. “Mund” is the Anglicised form of the Toda word for a village ‘Mandu.The first part of the name is probably a corruption of the local name for the central region of the Nilgiri Plateau.
The stem of the name (Ootaca) comes from the local language in which Otha-Cal literally means Single Stone. This is perhaps a reference to a sacred stone revered by the local Toda people. The name probably changed under British rule from Udhagamandalam to Ootacamund, and later was shortened to Ooty.
Ooty is situated in the Nilgiri hills. The name meaning blue mountains in Tamil, Malayalam, Kannada and Badaga and most other Indian languages might have arisen from the blue smoky haze given off by the eucalyptus trees that cover the area or from the Kurunji flower, which blooms every twelve years and gives the slopes a bluish tinge. Because of the beautiful mountains and green valleys, Ooty became known as the Queen of Hill Stations.
Tea estate view point – Ooty Tourist
Gardens 9:00 am to 6:00 pm 6 Tips
Timing : Mon-Fri : 9:00 am to 5:30 pm, Sat – Sun : 9:00 am to 5:30 pm
Entrance Fees : Rs 10 per Person (Adults), No Fees (Children below 5)
Camera Fees : Still camera Rs 10/- , Video Rs 50
Things to do : Making of tea powder/dust
Places nearby : Doddabetta (4km), Botanical Garden (3.5km), Rose Garden (4.5km), Ooty Lake (7km), Thunder World (6.3km)